This is achieved through Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) which delivers online analytical processing (OLAP) and data mining functionality for business intelligence applications.
Since Analysis Services supports OLAP, we are able to design, create, and manage multidimensional structures that contain data aggregated from other data sources, such as relational databases.
For data mining applications, we use Analysis Services to design, create, and visualize data mining models that are constructed from other data sources by using a wide variety of industry-standard data mining algorithms.
Benefits of Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Speed: Aggregating (Summarizing) the data for performance
- Multidimensional analysis – slice, dice, drilldown
- Can usually handle more concurrent users than what the data warehouse can handle
- Built-in advanced time-calculations
- Easily use Excel – you can use Excel to view data via Pivot Tables
- Security –you can use the security setting to give end-users access to only those parts (slices) of the cube relevant to them